This article may contain affiliate links for products from Amazon. American Wife Brazilian Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. To be clear, purchasing through included links doesn’t cost you extra, and it scores a small commission for American Wife Brazilian Kitchen. Win-win!
The scoop on this recipe…
Soup is such a great option for a light lunch or supper. If you fancy the spice of thai and indian food, paired with the comfort of potato soup, then you’ll enjoy this coconut sweet potato soup! This soup uses only three ingredients, four if you count water. So I would definitly categorize it in my repertoire of “simple, cheap, and no-fuss.”
I have to be honest and tell you that the first time I made this soup, my endgoal was curry. However, “Mommy brain” sabatoged my last grocery outing and I came home without some of the ingredients I needed. Frustration started to choke my motivation, so I decided to switch tactics. It was time for a little round of “Fake It ‘Till Ya Make It.” Well… one improvisatory fail led to another, and inspiration struck! Soup! Curry soup! Truth be told, some of the best creative triumphs grow from failures. So don’t ever be afraid to make a mess of things. Maybe that is exactly what you need! There you have it! – “Coconut Sweet Potato Soup for the Soul.”
Now back to the juicy commentary…
On a cold evening, serve your soup hot and feel the “warm fuzzies!” Or let it chill and enjoy with some salad for a refreshing lunch. The coconut milk provides a creamy base while the sweet potatoes and red curry paste combine for a sweet-spicy-savory punch of flavor in every spoonfull.
I reccomend Mekhala’s Thai Red Curry Paste to season your soup. This paste covers all the bases, boasting an organic, vegan, paleo and keto-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, sugar-free, flavor enhancer and preservative-free ingredient list. Now that is one healthy, tasty mouthful! I am a picky seasoning shopper because multiple family members, myself included, have a nasty reaction to MSG, and I have to say this curry paste definitely made the cut.
That wraps up the notes on this recipe, so let’s get to cooking!! If you have your own creative experience and come up with something new, be sure to write and tell me about it in the comments!
Spicy Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
This soup has a sweet-spicy flavor and light but creamy texture... a fast, easy guilt-free recipe for lunch and supper.
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (I used the Brazilian white and purple varieties, but American yams will also work wonderfully.)
- 2 Cups Water
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- Red Curry Paste to taste (perhaps 1-1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Step 1 Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Step 2 Put the potatoes, salt, and water into a pressure cooker. Once the pot has reached full pressure, boil for 3 minutes.
- Step 3 Activate the quick release and unseal the lid. Then add the coconut milk and red curry paste. Stir until completely mixed.
- Step 4 Ladle 2 Cups of the broth and potatoes into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into the soup and stir again.
- Step 5 Serve with your choice of garnishes such as red onions, green onions, raisins, slivered almonds, and sesame sticks.